Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing #5--Web 2.0

Before I started this course, the term Web 2.0 did not mean anything in particular to me.

However, after reading a few articles about 2.0, I am now aware of the vastness of this technical

aspect of the World Wide Web. It seems daunting....I don't even know where to start. It's

almost like, if I start learning about one tool of Web 2.0, what other tools am I missing out on?

I know this is the wrong way to approach this. But, gee whiz........as an educator, how much of

this do I even need? Funny thing is........I can probably answer that very question using one of

the tools of Web 2.0, the blog! One of my thoughts is to throw a blog post out there to other

educators out there and pose the question: What are 3 or 4 tools from Web 2.0 that are a must

for every educator? There! I am practicing what I preached on an earlier post......use questions

to invite comments from others.

School 2.0, to me, means an educational climate where students are encouraged to engage in

a dynamic, 2-way, read/write medium using the World Wide Web. This breaks us out of the old

static system of 1-way, teacher centered learning. 2.0 is very much open-ended......which

I believe will bring about more creativity from students of every grade level.

Schools of the future will need to align their state mandated objectives with Web 2.0

to prepare students for a big leap from the classroom to the workplace, wherever that

may be.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I think the tools will become more useful as our assignments change and we require students to be more collaborative with each other. It will be a long road and we'll probably have Web 3.0 tools before we learn all of these 2.0 stuff. It's always changing isn't it??